Friday 25 October 2013

Is Pretty for Everyone?

Hello Littl’uns!
I wanted to talk a little about body image this week.
It seems in society there is pressure to look a certain way, and a big part of this has to do with a person’s weight. We see photoshopped models on magazine covers looking ultra skinny and people aspire to be that as that is what pretty is portrayed as.
Obviously this false reality was finally picked up on and there’s been some changes. Instead, now I hear:

“oooh no, that’s not nice, I like a girl with curves instead.”

On the surface you think:

“Yes! Finally! People understand that girls aren’t all sticks, and curvy is beautiful too”

Then you dig a little deeper and see there’s still a long way to go. You think it’s saying people are beautiful at any size – but in reality it’s still body shaming, just the other way around. We’ve gone from shaming the chubbier people to shaming the skinny people. That’s not okay.
I can’t count the times I’ve been told I’m too skinny and need to put on weight. People seem to think it’s a compliment. It’s not. Contrary to belief, I eat. A lot. I couldn’t put on the weight even if I tried. So to tell me that my body is not beautiful because it’s too skinny, is just as rude as to tell someone they are not beautiful for being overweight.

Beauty does not come in a certain size.
Everyone has beauty.

Please check out the video I did to accompany this post here:


All my love,
Kristi

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...